Thursday, May 20, 2010

Steamed Brown Bread




I used to eat a lot of this bread when I was a kid. It was usually severed along side Boston Baked Beans and the bread came from a can. Which I used to think was a strange. But I loved the dense, moist, sweet bread and got excited anytime my mom brought some home from the grocery store. I knew dinner that night was going to be a good one.

When I saw this recipe I had to try it since it had been a long time since I had eaten steamed bread. I wondered if it would taste as good as I remembered and would I still love it?

This bread has a stronger molasses taste then I remember the one from the can having and since molasses is not my most favorite flavor, I didn't love this bread as much as I did when I was a kid. I guess my taste buds have changed.



Steamed Brown Bread

Adapted from Cooking Light October 2008

4.75 ounces whole wheat flour (about 1 cup)

4 ounces rye flour (about 1 cup)

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup raisins

2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups buttermilk

3/4 cup molasses

2 tablespoon butter melted

1 tablespoon grated orange rind

Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Combine flours, cornmeal, raisins, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, molasses, butter, and rind. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Divide batter evenly between 2 (8-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Tightly cover each pan with foil. Place pans in a 13x9-inch baking pan. Add boiling water to a depth of 1 inch. Cover larger pan with foil.
Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Top of bread will be slightly sticky. Remove pans from water. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack and then remove from pans. Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment