Friday, April 9, 2010

Chocolate meringues



I was looking to make a simple dessert since it was the day after the Black Eyed Peas concert and my head was still ringing from being too close to the stage. Next concert I go to I'm using earplugs.

The Chocolate Meringues looked quick and easy to make, but I wasn't too excited to eat them. I've never made them but have bought them a few times for my son since he loves them. I find them unappealing. To me it's like eating cardboard with sugar. Maybe home made ones would taste better, but I had little hope.

First thing I did was let 3 egg whites come to room temperature.


Then whipped them with cream of tarter until they were stiff peaks.

Cocoa powder and confectioners sugar were folded in followed by the chocolate chips. Instead of dropping them onto parchment paper using a teaspoon, I used a cookie scoop. I like to use one as it keep them all the same size.


I expected these to taste like the store bought ones, dry and crispy with a hint of cocoa flavoring but I was in for a surprise when I took a bite. All I could say was they were amazing, crispy on the outside but warm and chewy on the inside. I ate mine about a half hour after they came out of the oven so the chocolate chips were still warm and soft. The cocoa flavoring was predominating making the meringue taste like a warm chocolate cookie. These little guys are dangerous to make since I could have eaten about 20 in a row. The next time my son has a craving for meringues; I will definitely be making them.

If you have never made homemade meringues before you need to at least once. They're so easy to make and taste way better than store bought ones.


Chocolate Meringues
Adapted from Essentials of baking

2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting

2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder

3 large egg whites, at room temperature

1/4 teaspoon cream tarter

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup miniature (I used regular size) semisweet plain chocolate chips

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 250 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Shift confectioners' sugar lightly over the paper.

Sift together the 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar and the cocoa powder onto a sheet of parchment paper or plate. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the egg whites and cream of tartar. Using a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment or a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until the cream of tartar dissolves and the whites begin to thicken, Increase the speed to medium-high and beat just until the soft peaks form, Slowly add the granulated sugar and continue to beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Remove the bowl from the mixer,

Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the sugar-cocoa mixture into the egg whites, then fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop the dough by level teaspoons (I used a cookie scoop) onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies 1 inch apart, Bake until the meringues feel crusty and dry on the outside, about 55 minutes. Transfer the pans to wire racks and let the meringues cool completely. The outside of the cookies will become crisper as they cool. Serve at room temperature. Store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze in tightly sealed container for up to 1 month.

1 comment:

  1. I love meringues as I think they are dieter friendly being lower in sugar and higher in protein because of the egg whites & I’m sure homemade is much better than ‘bought’. This sounds like a great recipe that I will definitely try. Sounds easy to make and & I love your mouth watering description of the final product. It made me wish I was there with you eating them!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting this recipe.
    PS Great photos on all your recipes and wonderful descriptions & I love your touch of humor. Can’t wait to see your next entry. Keep baking and blogging!!!!

    ReplyDelete